DANCE BASICS Step 07 Side Step in walking forward & backward
DANCE BASICS are movements that do not belong to a particular dance style. These "basic" movements are the basis for different dance styles. Examples from the category Dance Basics include moves from urban dance styles, funky moves, hip hop styles, jazz dance, ... etc. The choice of music as well as the way in which the moves are executed (style) allow the moves to be identified with a certain dance style.
- Experience with movement and music
- Examples from the category: "Short Dances"
Tips for implementation:
- Different forms of organisations add variety and take some pressure off the teacher as the "presenter".
- Play some music during the practice phase (motivation). The sound volume can be varied.
- Students can show their own moves related to the theme that they either already know or have created or arranged within their groups.
- Putting together 2-3 movements can already result in a small combination suitable for a class.
Tips relating to the music: further information can be found under the heading "Tips & methods" > Music
- For this example, several different music pieces are suitable. A clear rhythm with between 75 – 105 beats per minute (BPM) is helpful.
- Good, motivating music is very important. Use songs that are currently popular every now and then. Bring faster and slower music to the lesson. These add variety and motivation to lessons.